yes i know – everybody does it. also lists are so 20th century.
1. Cross of Iron – for the third time now – one of the most underrated warmovies and one of my favourites in this genre.
2. Nostalgia for the light – great documentary, camera, words and effects a bit cheesy at times but the interviewed persons make it more than worth watching.
3. Things we lost in the fire – had potential but failed miserably.
4. One, Two, Three – i have no idea how many times i watched the movie – all time favourite and one of the best cold war movies there is – certainly the funniest …
5. The grass is greener – you just have to love cary grant. not one of his best movies but come on – robert mitchum AND cary grant? a mustsee.
6. Persepolis – cute and charming.
7. Eyes wide open – wonderful movie about an affair between two orthodox jews, one of them married with children, in Jerusalem. Thoughtful, tender and with great acting.
8. The wild and wonderful Whites of West Virginia.
9. Dancing outlaw (not on Mubi yet)
10. Dancing outlaw II – Jesco goes to Hollywood (not on Mubi yet)
12. The lottery (not on mubi yet)
13. October Country – “Every family has its ghosts. You just have to figure out how to live with them.” A beautiful, poetic documentary about an american family and their struggle with everyday life. it is raw and honest and one of the best documentaries i have seen in a while.
14. Beyond the Game – (not on mubi yet). Documentary on two WoW-Champions. Could have been interesting, but wasnt. Clueless directing and editing. Avoid!
15. Last Train Home – A film I will never forget. Next time I buy a chinese product I will see the faces of family Zhang in my head.
16. Grizzly Man – i didnt like Werner Herzog’s approach and vain attitude here.
17. Black Swan – i loved all the other movies by aronofsky but this one left me a bit cold?
the acting is great although Portman as Half-Lady with a lot of waving arm gestures sometimes annoyed me. barbara hershey is excellent.
i cannot really say anything against this movie right now other than it left me a bit empty.
18. Ghost in the shell 2: Innoncence – stunning visuals, too much talking, annoying dog. part one was so much better :(
19. Trash Humpers – time will tell. the ästhetik and the phtography was beautiful and poetic, the rest was meh.
20. Last Tango in Paris – so so good. i could watch this one million times and would never get tired of the rooms, of paris and of brandos acting.Read less